[yocto] New gst-player

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Mar 5 04:16:43 PST 2015

On 2015-03-04 23:32, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 4 March 2015 at 23:45, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com <mailto:gary at mlbassoc.com>> wrote:
>
>     I like that owl has been replaced by gst-player, but I need
>     some help figuring out how to get it working :-(  If you ask
>     it to play something and it doesn't have the appropriate
>     plugins available, it just sits there and acts stupid (no
>     error popup, nothing...).  For example, I tried to play a
>     MP4 file downloaded from YouTube and it complained:
>        Now playing /home/root/Vlad+Louise.mp4
>        Missing plugin: H.264 decoder
>        Missing plugin: MPEG-4 AAC decoder
>     (those are only the relevant lines which I got by running it
>     by hand in a terminal window).
>
>     Any idea what I need to get installed to play this file?
>

> Yes, we should probably patch it to hook into those signals and show a dialog with more useful diagnostics.
>
> If you have recent Intel HW, gstreamer-vaapi-1.0 will handle H264 in hardware.  Otherwise gstreamer-libav has an AAC decoder and a software H264 decoder.

Intel hardware?  Nah, everything here is ARM :-)

Using gstreamer1.0-libav seems to work, but it's really power hungry
(i.e can cause my board's power supply over current!).  Does this
plugin just hook into libav?  I've tried playing the same file using
mplayer (which does use libav) and it doesn't have the same power
issues.