[yocto] should YP docs explain "type=kmeta" and "destsuffix="?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Mar 4 23:53:43 PST 2015

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

... snip my stuff ...

> It's not really a typical developer option. It is for maintaining a
> separate repository of meta-data, and then allowing the tools and
> kernel to use that meta data as part of the build.
>
> Only someone maintaining (and sharing) a large set of their own
> kernel fragments would be interested in this.
>
> So I'm on the fence if it is worth documenting, but lean towards at
> least mentioning it and offering a simple use case.

  just FYI, of all the layers i have checked out and try to keep up
with, the meta-xilinx layer is the only one that takes advantage of
that "type=kmeta" feature and nathan rossi on that list suggested that
he did that just to get something working and out the door, so it's
entirely possible that that really *isn't* a normal developer option
that needs to be documented.

  so i'll leave this with people higher up the food chain ... perhaps
it really is something that needs explanation only in an advanced
kernel workflow section or something like that.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca