[yocto] should YP docs explain "type=kmeta" and "destsuffix="?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Mar 4 13:34:36 PST 2015

On 15-03-04 10:10 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    i see that the meta-xilinx layer takes advantage of extending the
> search path for features directories with things like:
>
> SRC_URI = " \
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;protocol=https;branch=${KBRANCH} \
>                  file://xilinx-base;type=kmeta;destsuffix=xilinx-base \
>                  file://0001-ARM64-Add-new-Xilinx-ZynqMP-SoC.patch \
>    ... etc etc ...
>
> and the above is processed from kernel-yocto.bbclass with:
>
> # check the SRC_URI for "kmeta" type'd git repositories. Return the name of
> # the repository as it will be found in WORKDIR
> def find_kernel_feature_dirs(d):
>      feature_dirs=[]
>      fetch = bb.fetch2.Fetch([], d)
>      for url in fetch.urls:
>          urldata = fetch.ud[url]
>          parm = urldata.parm
>          if "type" in parm:
>              type = parm["type"]
>          if "destsuffix" in parm:
>              destdir = parm["destsuffix"]
>              if type == "kmeta":
>                  feature_dirs.append(destdir)
>
>      return feature_dirs
>
> i see no mention of this feature in any of the YP docs ... is it meant
> to be used by normal developers, so that it should be explained?

It's not really a typical developer option. It is for maintaining a
separate repository of meta-data, and then allowing the tools and
kernel to use that meta data as part of the build.

Only someone maintaining (and sharing) a large set of their own
kernel fragments would be interested in this.

So I'm on the fence if it is worth documenting, but lean towards
at least mentioning it and offering a simple use case.

Bruce