[yocto] Deploying 2 machines, u-boot does not include with both.

John Ernberg john.ernberg at actia.se
Wed Jun 24 01:53:03 PDT 2015

Hi

This is a weird one that I have been researching for a while trying to
figure out how this can happen.
We recently had to extend our targets with another machine, they have
the same core CPU architecture, but we provide different configurations
of the kernel for them. Along with some IMAGE_INSTALL changes.

Since very little needs to be rebuilt, and the only thing needed to
change target machine is to edit the MACHINE variable, we chose to build
the images using the same build directory.

This means we set the MACHINE variable to machine_A. run bitbake
[machine_A_image], change the MACHINE variable to machine_B, and then
run bitbake [machine_B_image].

Here is when the weird happens. After machine_A has built, we can find
everything we expect to find in the machine_A image deploy directory.
When we change the MACHINE variable and build machine_B, we find that
the u-boot image from the machine_A directory has disappeared.
Depending on build machine it has moved into the machine_B directory, in
addition to u-boot image for machine_B being present in this directory,
OR it has just been removed.
Changing back to building machine_A, the u-boot(s) are removed from the
machine_B directory, and the machine_A u-boot will show up in the
machine_A directory.

What could be at play here to cause such a strange behaviour? How can I
debug such a behaviour? I could not find anything on Google regarding
this, nor anything in the logs generated by bitbake.

We're using the Daisy branch of Yocto.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards // John Ernberg