[yocto] Kernel driver backports

Darcy Watkins dwatkins at sierrawireless.com
Tue Jun 23 16:00:40 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am attempting to build kernel driver backports 3.18.1-1 to backport newer drivers into older kernels (3.4 for i586 and 3.12 for armv7).  This is in poky 1.6 (daisy).

I have everything building OK, and they seem to work OK on the target, BUT the tasks that split the packages up will name the kernel-module-XXX sub-packages the same as those originally built in the kernel.  Even though the package version from backports has the backports version (different from the kernel version), this still results in a QA warning - attempt to install files into a shared area when they already exist (which I believe is a QA fatal error in newer version of yocto).

The modules as shipped from kernel wind up under /lib/modules/.../kernel/drivers/...

The modules as shipped from backports wind up under /lib/modules/.../updates/drivers/...

So there is actually no real issue present.  They can both be installed on the target.

I think that the solution would be to override the sub-package naming such that instead of...

kernel-module-ath9k-hw-3.12... .rpm  ...and...
kernel-module-ath9k-hw-3.18.1-1... .rpm

...have something like...

kernel-module-ath9k-hw-3.12... .rpm  ...and...
backports-kernel-module-ath9k-hw-3.18.1-1... .rpm

Then there should be no QA issue and since the files are at different locations on the target system, there shouldn't be any conflict there either.

Anyone know how to override the package splitter for kernel modules to use a different prefix? ... or do I need to derive a new bbclass?

I tried setting KERNEL_MODULES_META_PACKAGE to something different, but that seems to have no effect.

Regards,

Darcy

Darcy Watkins ::  Staff Engineer, Firmware

SIERRA WIRELESS
Direct  +1 604 233 7989   ::  Fax  +1 604 231 1109  ::  Main  +1 604 231 1100
13811 Wireless Way  :: Richmond, BC Canada V6V 3A4
[P2]
dwatkins at sierrawireless.com<mailto:dwatkins at sierrawireless.com> :: www.sierrawireless.com<http://www.sierrawireless.com/> :: www.inmotiontechnology.com<http://www.inmotiontechnology.com/>