[yocto] Migration from 1.7.1 to 1.8 - kernel-abiversion missing

Robert Calhoun rcalhoun at shotspotter.com
Tue Jun 23 12:15:16 PDT 2015

On 4/30/15 10:06 AM, "Bruce Ashfield" <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

>On 2015-04-30 08:27 AM, Schaumlöffel, Jan wrote:
>>> What kernel recipe is used when your machine is set to 'astro' ?
>>> Something custom ? Or have you added machine compatibility to another
>>> known kernel recipe ?
>>
>> How would I see which kernel recipe is used?
>
>This is where my brute force techniques probably break down. I just
>do a 'bitbake virtual/kernel' and you'll see it display which
>recipe is being built.
>
>If you haven't added compatibility for your new machine to any
>recipe, I'm betting that linux-dummy is used.
>

>> I did not customize anything except for aforementioned steps, simply
>>copied beaglebone.conf to astro.conf in the same directory. Also I did
>>not touch any kernel recipes (kernel is built externally), maybe that's
>>what's missing?
>
>It is plausible. But in theory, linux-dummy should still provide
>what you need (but since it doesn't build anything, there is
>no abi .. and no modules can be built against it) .. so the
>error isn't graceful.
>
>Bruce
>

>> Jan

I encountered the same error ("ERROR: No kernel-abiversion file found
(build/tmp/sysroots/{machinename}/pkgdata/kernel-depmod/kernel-abiversion),
 cannot run depmod, aborting") after porting my system from poky-daisy to
poky-fido. My machine config sets PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel =
"linux-dummy", as we currently use a monolithic out-of-tree 2.6 kernel.
It's a clean fido checkout, and I tried trashing tmp and rebuilding
everything to no effect.

Based on
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/image.bbcl
ass I have worked around this by setting:

USE_DEPMOD = "0"

in my image configuration. This works, and allows the root file system to
be built.

Is it a bug that depmod is not skipped automatically when linux-dummy is
specified? Am I risking death and destruction by overriding it? (We don't
have any kernel modules.)

Thanks,

Rob Calhoun