[yocto] [OE-core] Webkit-gtk will be updated to latest upstream; midori browser to be replaced with Epiphany

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 15 07:44:18 PDT 2015

On 06/15/2015 05:24 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:

> If you actually compare the build dependencies, you'll see that Midori
> and Epiphany are actually almost identical.
>
> We need to upgrade WebKit as the release we're shipping has known
> security flaws and is very old - and the community is rightly moaning
> about that.  However Midori doesn't build with a recent WebKit... if you
> have an alternative solution then your thoughts are welcome.

Also, Webkit2 itself ships with a tiny browser wrapper called MiniBrowser:

http://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2011/11/04/webkit2-gtk-minibrowser-ported-to-gtk-api/

That may be enough for many people's needs, and they can simply not
include Epiphany into their images if it's too big and bloated or whatever.

Alex