[yocto] Webkit-gtk will be updated to latest upstream; midori browser to be replaced with Epiphany

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 15 02:46:38 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I've been looking into updating oe-core's aging web engine/browser
combo, and want to give you a heads up about what's going to happen:

1) webkit-gtk engine will be updated to latest stable upstream release
(2.8.3 which is providing Webkit2 API and is a Gtk3 port)

2) midori browser will be replaced with Epiphany browser from the Gnome
project. The reason is that the latest release of midori still defaults
to Webkit1 and gtk2, a new version of midori is in development, but is a
major rewrite with no target release date and is far from ready at the
moment (from looking at the list of open issues).

The downside to this is extra bloat and dependencies, but I can't see
any other way we can provide a modern client stack for the web. Having a
browser is important nowadays for any kiosk-type device with a
touchscreen, because that's how UIs are written.

Regards,
Alex