[yocto] [meta-intel] "Crazy" Xorg memory usage after upgrading from Daisy to Fido

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Jun 11 00:52:02 PDT 2015

Hi Vincent,

> On 10 Jun 2015, at 03:50, Cheah, Vincent Beng Keat <vincent.beng.keat.cheah at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I don’t have any idea with regard to the issue that you are getting below. All the work that we are doing here so far is on CHV (yocto-kernel-3.19.5 standard/base branch).
>
> From your statement below, it looks to me that you are upgrading meta-intel from Daisy to Fido branch which are using yocto-kernel-3.14 (meta-intel/isg/valleyisland BSP). I'm not sure if you are able to reproduce this with yocto-kernel-3.19.5 (standard/base branch) from the meta-intel common directory. Also, comparing Daisy branch against Fido, it seems like there are lot of changes in the user-space stacks, which I'm not sure could cause the issue below.

I’ve switch my build to use 3.19.5-yocto-standard by adding a preferred_version to my local.conf. This has changed the behaviour:

1) At startup XOrg is still using a lot of memory (%VSZ goes above 88%);
2) The application works much better, but still has a few minor stutters every now and then;
3) XOrg memory usage (%VSZ) cycles between about 25% and 88%;
4) After a while (does not appear to be deterministic) the XOrg memory usage drops to and stays at a %VSZ of 4%;
5) At this point the application works as it did under daisy.

> Daisy 1.6.2
> 	Kernel 3.4, 3.10, 3.14 (Supportable common base)
> 	Xorg-server 1.15
> 	Wayland/Weston 1.4.0
> 	Xf86-video-intel 2.99.910
> 	Libdrm 2.4.52
> 	MESA 9.2.5
> 	Cairo 1.12.16
> 	libVA 1.3.1 (from meta-intel)
> 	Intel-VA-driver 1.3.2 (from meta-intel)
> 	GStreamer 1.2.3
> 	GStreamer-VAAPI 0.5.8 (from meta-intel)
>

> Dizzy 1.7.1
> 	Kernel 3.10, 3.14, 3.17 (Supportable common base)
> 	Xorg-server 1.15.1
> 	Wayland/Weston 1.5.0
> 	Xf86-video-intel 2.99.912
> 	Libdrm 2.4.54
> 	MESA 10.1.3
> 	Cairo 1.12.16
> 	libVA 1.3.1 (from meta-intel)
> 	Intel-VA-driver 1.3.2 (from meta-intel)
> 	GStreamer 1.4.1
> 	GStreamer-VAAPI 0.5.8 (from meta-intel)
>

> Fido 1.8
> 	Kernel 3.14, 3.19 (supportable comon base)
> 	Xorg-server 1.16.3
> 	Wayland/weston 1.6.0
> 	Xf86-video-intel 2.99.917
> 	Libdrm 2.4.59
> 	Mesa 10.4.4
> 	Cairo 1.12.18
> 	LibVA 1.5.0 (from meta-intel)
> 	Intel-VA-driver 1.5.0 (from meta-intel)
> 	Gstreamer 1.4.5
> 	Gstreamer-vaapi 0.5.10 (from meta-intel)

I will have a go at down-versioning these to see if that makes any difference. I doubt GStreamer is the issue as I was already using 1.4.5 under daisy.

Thanks for the pointers :-)

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!