[yocto] Issue with udev not creating dev/dri/card0 for xf86-video-ati

Chen, Simon simon.chen at lmco.com
Mon Jun 8 09:35:56 PDT 2015

Hello,

I've currently built a Yocto image using poky-dizzy-12.0.1, and have my target proprietary board boot off of it. I am trying to assimilate an external graphics card, the AMD Radeon E8860 by "manually" installing the latest version of the open source Radeon driver, xf86-video-ati. The main issue I am tackling is that the device file dev/dri/card0 required by the Radeon driver does not exist, and neither does dev/fb0 which is needed by the default VESA driver whenever xf86-video-ati fails.  My hypothesis at the moment, is that the udev from Yocto is not correctly parameterized for the radeon driver, or it is incomplete. I've tried adding some new rules to the etc/udev/rules.d/local.rules file but it doesn't seem to work. I am also fairly new to udev rules.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Simon Chen