[yocto] Library not getting installed to intended path

Yogesh Tyagi yogesh.bit2006 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 21:14:08 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am using yocto 1.6 and I have written a component and written bitbake
recipe file for this component. When rootfs is created my library is found
in "/lib" directory but I want it to be installed to "/lib/gstreamer-0.10"
directory (which is already created by open source gstreamer packages).

Following is the content of my bb file:

DESCRIPTION = "Plugin for support in GStreamer"

LICENSE = "BSD | LGPLv2.1"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=7e2d09b34a9cdf39567252d39ce57cca"

DEPENDS = "virtual/libc \
           system-utils \
           gstreamer \
           gst-plugins-base \
          "

PR = "r0"

TD_PKG_REPO = "td-gst-plugin"

inherit autotools td_package td_paths

library is installed to /lib/gstreamer-0.10 if I add this line to
Makefile.am

libdir = /lib/gstreamer-0.10

and these to bb file

FILES_${PN} += "/lib/gstreamer-0.10"
FILES_${PN}-dbg += "/lib/gstreamer-0.10/.debug"
INSANE_SKIP_${PN} += "dev-so

Is this correct to use INSANE_SKIP or is it not recommended?

Should I consider not to inherit autotools?  I have seen a lot of packages
doing that. In this case whatever path I assign here in FILES variable , my
library is installed to that path but with autotools I have to use
INSANE_SKIP option.

Thanks,
Yogesh