[yocto] getting started...

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jun 1 08:51:20 PDT 2015

On 5/31/2015 8:16 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Friday 29 May 2015 14:41:37 Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> Hi Ed,
>>
>> On 05/27/15 16:32, Ed Sutter wrote:
>>> This year I have two ongoing iMX6 based linux projects, and may need
>>> to use a beaglebone
>>> or RPi for some other small project.
>>>
>>> The point of the above detail is that I'd like to backup a bit and
>>> attempt to use Yocto to
>>> organize all four of these with one instance of Yocto/Poky.  Is that
>>> practical?
>> Yes, that would be a great idea!Have a look at angstrom, for example:
>> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org. They build one distro for a whole
>> bunch of different machines. As such, they start with a whole bunch of
>> different layers, most of which are BSP layers, and then simply do:
>>
>> $ MACHINE=<machine> bitbake <image>
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> $ MACHINE=raspberrypi2 bitbake angstrom-image
>> $ MACHINE=beaglebone bitbake angstrom-image
>>
>> and build the exact same image for a bunch of different boards/machines.
>>
>> They've recently switched to using a repo manifest (which I think is a
>> great idea): https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manifest
>>
>> I've been playing around with doing essentially the same thing for a
>> "poky" distribution here (but it's still a work-in-progress and not
>> really ready for prime time yet): https://github.com/twoerner/layer-repos
>>
>>>    Seems
>>>
>>> to me that is the ideal goal of Yocto, but I don't see many BSPs
>>> listed under the project
>>> downloads page.
>> Take a look here:
>> http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers this is
>> the "master" list of all the "known" layers, recipes, etc. As you can
>> see, there are quite a few BSP layers.
> Furthermore, you can click on the "Machines" tab i.e.
>
> http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/machines/
>
> Type in a keyword (or leave the box empty to see all) and hit Search, and
> you'll see a list of the matching machines provided by all the layers in the
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Trevor & Paul,
Ok, thanks much.  I'll dig into this more now.
By the way, the page that gave me the impression there were very
few BSPs is this: https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/bsps
Clicking on "Board Support Packages" and using <Any> and <ARM>
for "YP Core Release" and "Processor Family" respectively.

--
Ed Sutter
Alcatel-Lucent Technologies -- Bell Laboratories
Email: ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com