[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Adding an additional device tree overlay in the SDCard

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at neuf.fr
Fri Jul 31 18:22:30 PDT 2015

Hi Petter,

Thanks for your answers.

At some point, I’ve set it in the disto.conf – it works there – but for
maintenance reasons I’d love to be able to keep it “localized” with the
kernel .bbappend – since it clearly depends on the kernel.

For now, I’ve just patched the sdcard_image-rpi.bbclass, to take the
existing ${KERNEL_IMAGE}*.dtb in the ${DEPLOY_DIR_DIRECTORY}, split them in
overlay and non-overlay, and then do the processing like it’s done now.

It does work in my case, and I can provide the patch if it’s deemed of
interest. But I’m not sure whether or not there can be some side effects –
looks like rather safe, but more opinions are definitely needed on that.

Regarding the kernel, yes I’m using the 3.18 that is supported by the
meta-raspberry layer. As I mentioned in another thread, with more recent
kernels, the RaspberryPi overlay layers were added in a separate directory,
so in addition to a patch to build the newer kernel, the
sdcard_image-rpi.bbclass will also have to be modified to get the files in
the proper directory, when we switch to those newer kernels.

Best regards,

Herve