[yocto] Bug in Open CV receipt

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Jul 21 14:03:26 PDT 2015

On 2015-07-21 14:50, Victor Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Leonardo Sandoval
> <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 07/21/2015 09:57 AM, Victor Rodriguez wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi team
>>>
>>> Few weeks ago I was having some problems with open CV receipt. In the
>>> begining I toght I was adding opencv tro my core-image-minimal-xfce
>>> just with this:
>>>
>>> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " gcc gcc-dev openssh php mariadb opencv"
>>>
>>> Now after booting the image I realize that none of the libraries for
>>> open stack were added to my image
>>>
>>> What I had to do was the following:
>>>

>>> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " libopencv-core-dev libopencv-highgui-dev
>>> libopencv-imgproc-dev libopencv-objdetect-dev libopencv-ml-dev
>>> opencv-staticdev python-opencv"
>>>

>> A recipe can produce several packages. As I can see on opencv recipe, it can
>> produced the following ones:
>>
>> PACKAGES="opencv-staticdev opencv-dev opencv-dbg opencv-doc opencv
>> opencv-apps python-opencv"
>>
>> and dynamic ones (depending on what else you have install)
>>
>> PACKAGES_DYNAMIC="^opencv-locale-.* ^libopencv-.*"
>>
>> For the opencv case, it happens that the package opencv is empty, so you
>> need to append the other sub-packages it produces into your IMAGE_INSTALL
>> variable.
>>
>> So, it is not a bug, this is expected.
>>

> In my humble opinion this should change for OpenCV. But I would love
> to hear the feedback from others

Not everyone that uses OpenCV wants to develop programs on the unit.  Many
times all you need are prebuilt applications.  Yocto is designed for the
most flexibility, hence packages are not "forced upon" you - you need to
ask for them.

In the case of OpenCV (again this discussion really belongs on the OpenEmbedded
developers list BTW), perhaps there should be a opencv-develop pseudo-package
which installs all the bits that you are asking for.