[yocto] using gdb with externalsrc

Dave Kimble dkimble at alticast.com
Wed Jul 15 14:52:40 PDT 2015

Yes, I'm able to debug the externalsrc component. I can see variables, set breakpoints, step/next through the code etc. (so the symbols are valid). And local changes to the externalsrc component are reflected when I debug.

But I can't list the externalsrc component source code from within gdb (or find it anywhere in the image). The source for all of the other components is in the image (and I can list it in gdb). When I try to list the code for the externalsrc component, gdb prints this error message:
"[path on my build? machine]/sourceFile.c: No such file or directory."

If I don't use externalsrc at all, I can debug all of the components and list source code for all of them from within gdb.

So, I can't solve how to get the externalsrc source code into the image. I don't mind if I have to use "set substitute-path" from within gdb if externalsrc source files are put in a different place (although, it'd be ideal if they were put in the same place).

Thanks