[yocto] meta-toolchain uclibc issue

paul grant home.paul.grant at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 08:56:56 PDT 2015

Hello All,

I'm trying to build a cross compiler toolchain for PowerPC (mpc8544).

I'm able to successfully bitbake the meta-toolchain target
for glibc, when I check inside the sysroot directory of the sdk,
I find the following directories:

ppce500v2-poky-linux-gnuspe
x86_64-pokysdk-linux

The directory ppce500v2-poky-linux-gnuspe, contains root filesystem
for target (ppc500v2).
The directory x86_64-pokysdk-linux, contains the cross development tools,
for my host, particularly gcc (powerpc-poky-linux-gnuspe-gcc)

If I execute:

powerpc-poky-linux-gnuspe-gcc -v

the target is set to: powerpc-poky-linux

which I interpret to mean a powerpc based target with glibc&linux

I want to build a uclibc toolchain:

to this I understand you need to add the following line to my local.conf:

TCLIBC = "uclibc"

After doing so, I am again able successfully build the target
meta-toolchain.
Again if I look inside the sysroot directory two directories have been
created:

ppce500v2-poky-linux-uclibcspe
x86_64-pokysdk-linux

ppce500v2-poky-linux-uclibcspe, this time the root filesystem is based on
uclibc and this is refelected in the name.
x86_64-pokysdk-linux, again a directory to hold the host tools has been
created.
The gcc tools are located in under directory
./usr/bin/powerpc-poky-linux-gnuspe
as before,

If I execute:

powerpc-poky-linux-gnuspe-gcc -v

the target is set to: powerpc-poky-linux

However given that I've selected uclibc, I was expecting the gcc tools to
be located
under a directory: ./usr/bin/powerpc-poky-linux-uclibcspe
to reflect the fact that the tools are targeting uclibc.

If I look inside the environment script created by the meta-toolchain target
it shares this expectation as is reflected by the extract for CC envvar:

export CC="powerpc-poky-linux-uclibcspe-gcc  -m32 -mcpu=8548 -mabi=spe
-mspe -mfloat-gprs=double --sysroot=$SDKTARGETSYSROOT"

If I search the files created by the target meta-toolchain, it has actually
created
an apprpriate gcc located deeply nested under the work diretcory, a gcc
toolset
of the correct form has been created, namely:

powerpc-poky-linux-uclibcspe-g++

Just to confirm when I run with the -v option it shows its target as:

powerpc-poky-linux-uclibcspe

Can someone clarify what's happening here?!?

1. Are my expectations correct?
2. If so, why is the correct toolchain created, but not put in the correct
place
by the populate-sdk target?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!