[yocto] Read-only file system with persistent storage

Daniel. danielhilst at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 06:05:05 PDT 2015

Hi Gary, I'm interested in that too. In my case I want to have a
reset-to-factory-defaults-button on my device. The idea was use an readonly
filesystem and, on top of it, a read-write filesystem. All modifications
goes to top-half, once the RTFD button is pressed the top-half is formated
and the system goes back to its instalattion.

I have no ideia about support for that on Yocto, I know of OverlayFS
existence only. I think its possible but I don't know really how to do it,
also never tried. I'm just fearing that dealing with OverlayFS on rootfs
could be a headache. Anyway, take a look on this:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/overlayfs.txt

Best regards

- dhs

> I'd like to set up a system with a read-only root file system
> along with some persistent read-write storage.  What are the
> [best] options in Poky/Yocto for this?  Is there any support
> for some type of overlay file system?
>
> Thanks for any ideas/pointers

*"Do or do not. There is no try"*
  *Yoda Master*