[yocto] using gdb with externalsrc

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:54:08 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Dave Kimble <dkimble at alticast.com> wrote:
> Yes, I'm able to debug the externalsrc component. I can see variables, set
> breakpoints, step/next through the code etc. (so the symbols are valid). And
> local changes to the externalsrc component are reflected when I debug.
>
> But I can't list the externalsrc component source code from within gdb (or
> find it anywhere in the image). The source for all of the other components
> is in the image (and I can list it in gdb). When I try to list the code for
> the externalsrc component, gdb prints this error message:
> "[path on my build machine]/sourceFile.c: No such file or directory."

is this path pointing to S which is externalsrc path or to B which is
under build TMPDIR
and secondly, can you see compiler flags used during build for externalsrc ?

are you using master branch ?

what does show directories say

> If I don't use externalsrc at all, I can debug all of the components and
> list source code for all of them from within gdb.
>
> So, I can't solve how to get the externalsrc source code into the image. I
> don't mind if I have to use "set substitute-path" from within gdb if
> externalsrc source files are put in a different place (although, it'd be
> ideal if they were put in the same place).

sources are embedded in debug info, most probably when debug-split is done
at that point there could be something going wrong where its not able
to put the right path links