[yocto] using gdb with externalsrc

Dave Kimble dkimble at alticast.com
Wed Jul 15 09:36:39 PDT 2015

We've got a component of an existing Yocto project under active development that we'd like to debug with gdb.?

We've added these features to get gdb and the debug symbol packages into the image:

EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks tools-debug"

IMAGE_FEATURES = "ssh-server-openssh dbg-pkgs"

We've added these variables to build the component under active development from the local code:
INHERIT += "externalsrc"
EXTERNALSRC_pn-[component] = "[local source code path]/[component]"

All seems well, as the build succeeds and the component in the image reflects local code changes. However, the component source code never makes it into the image, so it can't be referenced in gdb.

Is there a secret to using dbg-pkgs and EXTERNALSRC together??