[yocto] populate_sdk and kernel headers

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Jul 8 10:19:43 PDT 2015

On 2015-07-08 1:05 PM, Benjamin Fleming wrote:
> Ok,
> adding kernel-devsrc to my IMAGE_INSTALL caused the kernel source to be included in the SDK. Unfortunately, it is now also included in the target image.
> I found adding kernel-devsrc instead to TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK gave me what I wanted (/usr/src/kernel in the SDK but NOT in the target image)
>
> Also, I really only need the kernel headers (similar to the linux-headers packages in Ubuntu) for developing out-of-source kernel modules. Is there is a different package I should be using?

The linux-libc-headers are the uapi exported headers, but as for the
source for module builds, it is currently unified in the
kernel-devsrc package.

We have a long history with the packaging of the sources, and what
to export where .. and even the ordering of that packaging. So while
splitting out the headers may seem simple, it requires a bit more
finesse of getting the headers, the right amount of script and Kbuild
support to get it exactly right.

By keeping the two together, we ensure that we have enough to meet
all development tasks.

There are some enhancements for this in flight for the 1.9 release, so
it is something that we are considering .. just keeping those existing
use cases and workflows from breaking is the sticky part.

Cheers,

Bruce