[yocto] using shared state cache from other machine

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 7 15:40:49 PDT 2015

On Tuesday 07 July 2015 14:59:37 Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 6:07 AM, Kurt Van Dijck
> <dev.kurt at vandijck-laurijssen.be> wrote:
> > I started to re-use the shared state cache from a build machine.
> > If I clean everything locally, I still spend time building.
> > So, can everything be re-used, or only the target packages.
> > How different may the build machine & may host be.
> > The build machine is a (recent) ubuntu. My machine is debian squeeze+sid
> > mixed version. Is that a problem?
>
> You can try it, but no guarantees.
>
> I have a build machine running Ubuntu 14.04 and a laptop running Linux
> Mint 17.1 and I regularly rsync sstate from the build server to the
> laptop without any issues (as expected, since Linux Mint uses Ubuntu
> packages).

The theory is this should work provided the distro you use the native sstate
artifacts on has the same or newer glibc version as the one on which they were
originally built.

> The trick to avoid rebuilding all native packages is to
> rename sstate-cache/Ubuntu-14.04 -> sstate-cache/LinuxMint-17.1 after
> each rsync.

Rather than renaming, you can simply create a symlink from the other
distribution to the one which was used to do the build.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton