[yocto] installing kernel modules in root filesystem

Richard Cagley rcagley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:16:15 PDT 2015

I have a kernel module that shows up in my build work directory after
I configure the kernel accordingly
build/tmp-glibc/work/zedboard_zynq7-oe-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/3.14-xilinx+gitAUTOINC+2b48a8aeea-r0/image/lib/modules/3.14.2-xilinx/kernel/drivers/dma/xilinx/vdmatest.ko

But, when I add "kernel-modules" to my IMAGE_INSTALL in local.conf I
don't see vdmatest.ko show up in the resultant root filesystem after I
run bitbake core-image-minimal-dev and untar the image

Is there a way to tell yocto to install all kernel modules or a step
I've missed?