[yocto] Adding 'sbin' to default path

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 10:28:21 PST 2015

Hi,

Why does the PATH variable in the dot.bashrc shipped by the base-files
not include 'sbin' paths?  It seems like any interactive user should
be able to call e.g. 'ifconfig' informationally---they should, and
would still be, blocked from calling 'ifconfig eth0 up'

After looking at the PATH for a generic user on my local Ubuntu
system, I just added a patch to my meta layer to add the following
line to the dot.bashrc:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

It seems to work well---users created with the extrauser class pull
this default from the skel.

As this is security related though, I wanted to ask the question to
make sure I'm not doing something silly, dangerous or otherwise
idiotic.

Thanks,

--Ash