[yocto] Difference between target, cross, native and nativesdk.

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Mon Jan 26 09:08:43 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:54:39AM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 8:31 PM, Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 2015-01-21 14:37, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> >> The fw tools inside of U-Boot qualifies for both target and cross use
> >> cases. When used in cross or crosssdk, it can be used to change things
> >> in the generated image (sdcard for example) while in the target case
> >> it can be used in the runtime system.
> >
> > I've been wondering about the "u-boot-fw-utils-cross" recipe myself.
> > When I build the recipe I get what appear to be the correct binaries for
> > the host architecture, located in the target-specific work directory
> > (e.g. tmp/work/imx6qsabresd-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fw-utils-cross).
> > However, these binaries don't get installed anywhere other recipes (like
> > my sdcard image) would be able to find them.
> >
> > My workaround so far has been to build a native package instead (by
> > simply adding BBCLASSEXTEND = "native" to the regular "u-boot-fw-utils"
> > recipe).
> > This way the binaries get installed to the host's sysroot and are found
> > just fine, but I feel like I'm missing something about how the cross
> > recipe should be used properly for this purpose.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> I sent a patch and seems to do the right thing. Can you test it?

Well, again, you didn't really answer the question...

The question wasn't about the breakage, but rather about the process. How do
you mean to use the u-boot-fw-utils-cross "package"?

In other words, SYSROOT_PREPROCESS_FUNCS doesn't seem to work, as no binaries
are being deployed or staged in sysroots. Moreover, if you use rm_work class,
the only binary in the tmp/work directory gets deleted right away and you
can't use the output of this recipe in any way.

--
Denys