[yocto] adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Jan 23 09:24:44 PST 2015

I'm starting a project mostly for self-education.  I have already done the project using Ubuntu Server 14.04 using a Intel NUC and a Pandaboard as targets.  Now I want to see how easy it is to move it to Yocto.

Starting with the NUC, I can boot Dizzy 1.7.1 core-image-minimal and core-image-sato, both built with bitbake and not the prebuilt images. However, core-image-minimal doesn't have WiFi and core-image-sato does, but I don't need all the GUI stuff.  It's a headless application.

So what is recommended; eliminating the GUI from sato or adding wifi and wpa-supplicant, etc to minimal??  Also any pointers to how to do the adding/subtracting would be most helpful.

Once this is working all I have to do is put apache-tomcat, and openjdk-7-jre, then my application.

thanks, JimA