[yocto] Difference between target, cross, native and nativesdk.

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Thu Jan 22 14:31:19 PST 2015

On 2015-01-21 14:37, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> The fw tools inside of U-Boot qualifies for both target and cross use
> cases. When used in cross or crosssdk, it can be used to change things
> in the generated image (sdcard for example) while in the target case
> it can be used in the runtime system.

I've been wondering about the "u-boot-fw-utils-cross" recipe myself.
When I build the recipe I get what appear to be the correct binaries for
the host architecture, located in the target-specific work directory
(e.g. tmp/work/imx6qsabresd-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fw-utils-cross).
However, these binaries don't get installed anywhere other recipes (like
my sdcard image) would be able to find them.

My workaround so far has been to build a native package instead (by
simply adding BBCLASSEXTEND = "native" to the regular "u-boot-fw-utils"
recipe).
This way the binaries get installed to the host's sysroot and are found
just fine, but I feel like I'm missing something about how the cross
recipe should be used properly for this purpose.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers,

Dominic