[yocto] Booting .hddimg from USB failed -> ramdisk not found /dev/ram0 - HELP!

Simon Bolek simon.bolek at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 9 01:20:15 PST 2015

Hi Nick, attached is my kernel .bbappend and .cfg files of linux kernel
recipe of my own layer. In original meta layer nothing was changed.

However, I spent last night trying to resolve the problem and found out
that standard core-sato-image was missing
meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts
I added that to the local.conf file and also added grub to it.
I wonder how 'install' was possible without those scripts, well, never mind.
After building .hddimg again i was able to boot and install the image from
USB device to atom-pc. Installation seemed to work without problems BUT
after removing the usb device, boot FAILED: *not bootable device* - I was
crying out loud, belive me!, gave up and went directly to bed...

The same(built and generated at the same bitbake run) iso image is working
in virtual box like a charm.
There must be a difference/bug somewhere.
Vbox is creating partitions on hda, atom-pc has sda. Should not be a
problem, but still a difference.
Could you help me on that? There are 3 Partitions on /dev/sda:
/dev/sda1 - boot partition (no asterix in partition table visible, but no
asterix on Vbox partition table as well)
/dev/sda2 - rootfs
/dev/sda3 - swap

However, I will open another thread for this.

thank you and best regards
simon:-)