[yocto] Booting .hddimg from USB failed -> ramdisk not found /dev/ram0 - HELP!

Simon Bolek simon.bolek at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:59:49 PST 2015

Hello folks!

I have the following problem/question.
1) I built a standard .hddimg core-image-sato genericx86 on ubuntu 14.10
2) Afterwards, this .hddimg was deployed to USB device (USB-ZIP method)
3) Tried to boot Atom PC from the USB Device -> *ERROR: cound not found
ramdisk*

so initrd is trying to find /dev/ram0 which does not exist in the image. I
checked rootfs and there is nothing under
../poky/build/tmp/work/genericx86-poky-linux/core-image-sato/1.0-r0/rootfs/dev

I googled this up and there is a thread telling to check the .config file
for *CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM *settings*.*
I have the following entries in:
../poky/build/tmp/work/genericx86-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.35+gitAUTOINC+7df9ef8ee4_2ee37bfe73-r0/linux-genericx86-standard-build/.config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096

I also *bitbake core-image-sato -c cleansstate* twice already.
I also* bitbake core-image-sato -c menuconfig *once more and
afterwards *bitbake
linux-yocto* again.
I also tried IRC channels, but no answer so far...

Can anyone help me? How can i force bitbake to create /dev/ram0 under
rootfs?
Or maybe there is another trick to boot the image from USB?

best regards
simon:-)

Viele Grüsse
Simon Bolek

mit freundlichem Gruss / best regards / pozdrawiam / atentamente
Simon P. Bolek
Dipl. Inf. Simon P. Bolek
SAP Consultant
Business Mobile and IVI Solutions