[yocto] separate partition support

Andre Marschalek andre.marschalek at outlook.com
Mon Jan 5 15:49:35 PST 2015

hi,

splitting the root file filesystem into different partitions is a common
task and supported from every operating system during install and should be
also supported from yocto's build system

based on the current available documentation it seems impossible to
accomplish this task, the only available result is one full blown image
containing the root partition

currently the only idea i had is to run bitbake which will generate the root
image containing everything

create afterwards my own images with the desired size (also a new root image
because in this case IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE does not reflect the ending image
size)

mount every image and move the directories from the bitbake produced image
into this new images

and finally flash that images to my devices

what do you mean?

should this basic core functionality part of yocto's build process without
an overhead for everyone to create isolated solutions?

do you see a better workaround as to create new images and movements after
the build process?

thank you in advance

br

Andre