[yocto] BSP guide refers to meta-fri2 as example for binary/ data, it has none

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Mon Jan 5 14:14:01 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 21:44 +0000, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:

> [...]

Right, README.sources refers to the sources used to generate the
binaries in a released BSP e.g. the release tarballs on the Yocto BSP
Downloads page(s).

> >however, as i read it, it's really only necessary when a layer provides some
> >binary content in the binary/ subdirectory. the guide then goes on to claim
> >that the meta-fri2 layer does just that, but i see no binary content in that layer
> >-- in fact, none of the meta-intel sublayers appear to come with binary
> >content. so perhaps that part of the guide can be updated to refer to an
> >appropriate layer.
>
> The wording here does imply that the sources are the ones used to
> generate the images that would be in the "binary/" directory.  Can
> someone tell me if it would be more accurate to state that the
> README.sources file simply indicates where the sources to build the
> BSP are period... regardless of whether or not any binaries are
> included in that directory?  Knowing that would help me make sure this
> section is not mis-leading.  Also, knowing that would help me choose
> an appropriate example to point to for the README.sources file.

No. the README.sources indicate what was actually used to build the
images, which can and do contain much more than what is specified by the
recipes in the BSP layer.

So README.sources is meaningless if there are no binaries in /binary,
and the layer itself may have no /binary directory or README.sources
until a tarball is generated for release, which generation might be done
by the release process instead.

Again, this all refers to released BSPs, and if e.g. meta-fri2 doesn't
have these in the meta-intel git repo, any meta-fri2 released BSP
certainly does.

hth,

Tom