[yocto] is it not a *requirement* that layers start with "meta-"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jan 5 09:08:07 PST 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:

> If anyone can locate some scripts or something that actually does
> require "meta-" to be prepended please let me know.  That changes
> how we describe this.

  as an admittedly simple example, i ran across this in oe-core's
scripts/contrib/documentation-audit.sh:

for pkg in `bitbake -s | awk '{ print \$1 }'`; do

	... snip ...

        if [[ "$pkg" =~ ^meta- || "$pkg" =~ ^packagegroup- || "$pkg" =~ -image ]]; then
                # Skip meta, task and image recipes
                continue
        fi

  checking that the package name starts with "meta-" seems to
pretty clearly suggest that it will be treated differently than if it
doesn't. i'm sure no one is terribly worried about that particular
script, but it does seem to show an example of this.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca