[yocto] kernel manual: confusing coverage of FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 25 09:08:47 PST 2015

On 2/25/15, 12:54 AM, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>  minor quibble about kernel dev manual -- section 2.2.1, "creating
>the append file", uses the example of:
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>
>while section 2.2.3 uses:
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>
>both sections kind of implying that that's the way to do it, without
>making it clear that *either* way works as long as the variable
>prepend matches up with the directory name.
>
>  both ways are correct, of course, but the wording is a bit
>confusing.

Thanks, I agree, the same syntax should be used throughout the document.
The FILESEXTRAPATHS variable does correctly link to the ref manual where
people can get details on usage.

For simplicity, I should using "files" instead of ${PN}, it avoids the
"make sure your directory name matches ${PN}" issue.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center