[yocto] Edit project specific config files of other recipe like /etc/ssh/ssh_config from openssh

Chris Hallinan challinan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 06:31:45 PST 2015

Hi Kai,

In your layer, create a .bbappend matching the basename of the package
you want to change. Using your example, create
recipes-connectivity/openssh/openssh_6.6p1.bbappend (make sure
versions match).

Then you can either replace or patch ssh_config. I would patch it.
Create your patch, put it in recipes-connectivity/openssh/files, and
name your patch file, ending in .patch in SRC_URI in your .bbappend
file.

Your .bbappend file might look something like this:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
SRC_URI += "file://myssh_config.patch"

The first line instructs bitbake where to search for your patch file.
The second line will cause the file to be fetched into your ${WORKDIR}
for openssh, and because it has a .patch extension, it will
automatically be applied.

The excellent Yocto Project Developer Manual has an example of a
.bbappend file, although its slightly outdated.  You no longer need PR
field, and SRC_URI should be += instead of "=".

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7.1/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-bbappend-files

Yocto Project is gifted with some of the best documentation in the
open source world.

Good luck!

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Kai Ulrich <kaiu at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I create a layer for my project.
> How can I edit (patch?)  project specific config files of other recipe for
> the rootfs without touching the original recipe.
> Project specific config files could by /etc/ssh/ssh_config (do not touch
> recipe openssh )
>
> Friendly regrades
> Kai Ulrich

Life is like Linux - it never stands still.