[yocto] Yocto Realtime tests on beaglebone black

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Wed Feb 11 16:35:41 PST 2015

+ meta-ti
Please keep meta-ti in the loop.

[Sorry for the shorting.  Thunderbird keep locking up when I tried
replay all in plain text to this message.]

~ 15-02-11, Stephen Flowers wrote:
 > Thanks for your input.  Here are results of 1000 samples over a
 > 10 second period:
 >
 > Interrupt response (microseconds)
 > standard: min: 81, max:118, average: 84
 > rt: min: 224, max: 289, average: 231
 >
 >Will share the .config later once I get on that machine.

Steve I agree the numbers look strange.
There may well be something funny for RT going on for BBB.
TI is just starting to look into RT for BBB.

I would like to see the cyclictest results under heavy system load for
standard and RT kernels.  The whole point of RT is to limit the max
latency when the system is doing *anything*.

I am not surprised that the standard kernel has good latency when idle.
As you add load (filessystem is usually a good load) you should see that
max goes up a lot.

Also, as Bruce says, some degradation of min and average and also
general system throughput is expected for RT.  That is the trade-off.
I still think the number you are getting for RT seem high but I don't
know what your test is doing in detail.  (I did read your explanation.)
cyclictest should give us a standard baseline.