[yocto] [meta-freescale] tmp/work-shared and sstate

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Feb 10 10:35:28 PST 2015

On 2015-02-10 11:13, Christopher Larson wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com <mailto:gary at mlbassoc.com>> wrote:
>
>     If I run a build where the kernel package is brought in via
>     sstate, tmp/work-shared (in particular the kernel-source tree)
>     is not populated.  This will break at least these recipes:
>        meta-fsl-arm/recipes-__multimedia/gstreamer/gst-fsl-__plugin_4.0.2.bb <http://gst-fsl-plugin_4.0.2.bb>
>        meta-fsl-arm/recipes-__multimedia/alsa/fsl-alsa-__plugins_1.0.25.bb <http://fsl-alsa-plugins_1.0.25.bb>
>
>     These programs reference the kernel includes directly for some
>     ARM/i.MX specific headers (e.g. <linux/mxcfb.h>).  These headers
>     are not part of the mainline kernel which is used to create the
>     kernel headers that populates tmp/sysroots, so the build fails.
>     Note: I'm not sure of the mechanism that lets these programs
>     peek into the kernel build (I looked at them but nothing jumped
>     out), but they do build find if the kernel is actually built
>     and not just brought in by sstate.
>
>     Is this an error & if so, which recipe is at fault?  The FSL
>     recipes, or the new kernel build/classes?
>

> Per commit 46cdaf1c7bc597735d926af6a46f9483f7e57ce5 (oe-core 6a1ff0e7eacef595738f2fed086986fd622ec32a), you need to add this if you depend on the sources:
>
>      do_configure[depends] += "virtual/kernel:do_shared_workdir"
> --

Thanks, I'm checking now to see if this fixes the problem.

One thing I noted is I added that line to the two recipes in
question.  When I [re]built my target image with these changes
in a tree that I had just built using only sstate, it kicked
off a ton of tasks (~6000!), and it seems that it's now rebuilding
everything from scratch, not just unpacking the kernel.  Once this
finishes, I'll try another rebuild from sstate to see how that works,
but it sure looks like it's doing a lot more than necessary.

Is this to be expected?