[yocto] How to use different busybox defconfig's in the initramfs and rootfs image

Erwin.Rieger.ext at rohde-schwarz.com Erwin.Rieger.ext at rohde-schwarz.com
Tue Feb 3 01:23:03 PST 2015

Hello,

thank you for your reply.

I have a working solution now, but it is not as clean as i would like it to be and some new questions arose with it.

My current setup consists of a busybox.bbappend file that is used to customize the rootfs
busybox (defconfig, some /etc files and so on) and a busybox-initramfs.bb recipe for the initramfs busybox (as you
suggested).

The busybox.bbappend (see below) is straight forward, so no problem with that.

To create the busybox-initramfs.bb in my custom layer, i have included the base busybox recipe from the meta layer with
an 'require' statement.

Then i had to extend the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable to point back to the base recipe files-directory since it
no longer found the SRC_URI files from meta/busybox.bb and meta/busybox.inc. See the BUSYBOXBASEDIR
variable in the busybox-initramfs.bb below.

I feel that his construct is not that elegant, so here comes the first question:

Is there a nicer/cleaner way to include/reference the source files from the base busybox recipe in the meta layer?

The second question concerns the versioning: The busybox.bbappend file uses a 'version wildcard' (_%) to
match all versions of the base busybox recipe. But in the busybox-initramfs.bb recipe i have to hardwire the
version of the base recipe.

How can i use a 'version wildcard' in a 'require' statement?

I've tried 'require recipes-core/busybox/busybox_%.bb' but that gives me a parse error so it seems not to be
possible to use version wildcards together with require/include.

My current busybox-initramfs.bb recipe:
DESCRIPTION = "Use different busybox defconfig for initramfs."

# require recipes-core/busybox/busybox_1.22.1.bb

PV = "1.22.1"
require recipes-core/busybox/busybox_${PV}.bb

S = "${WORKDIR}/busybox-${PV}"

# Point FILESPATH to base busybox files dir
BUSYBOXBASEDIR = "${THISDIR}/../../../meta/recipes-core/busybox"
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${BUSYBOXBASEDIR}/busybox:"
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${BUSYBOXBASEDIR}/files:"

# Include our initramfs busybox defconfig
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${BPN}:"

BUSYBOX_SPLIT_SUID = "0"

The busybox_%.bbappend for the rootfs busybox:
DESCRIPTION = "Customize busybox."

# Include our rootfs busybox defconfig
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${BPN}:"

SRC_URI += " \
    file://inetd.conf \
    "

do_install_append() {
    install ${WORKDIR}/inetd.conf ${D}${sysconfdir}
}

BUSYBOX_SPLIT_SUID = "0"

Best Regards, Erwin Rieger