[yocto] How to use different busybox defconfig's in the initramfs and rootfs image

Erwin.Rieger.ext at rohde-schwarz.com Erwin.Rieger.ext at rohde-schwarz.com
Mon Feb 2 05:21:08 PST 2015

Hello list,

i have used Yocto to create a initramfs linux kernel and a corresponding rootfs for a embedded linux system.

Things are working as expected, so far.

Now i want to fine-tune my setup and want to use a different busybox configuration in the initramfs as the one in the rootfs image.
For example, the initramfs busybox should contain support for switch-root and that is not needed in the rootfs.
On the other hand, the rootfs should contain a "full-fledged" busybox (with inetd enabled, for example).

So the question is: How can i build/install a package two times with differing configurations in one bitbake run?.

How can this be done the Yocto-way without copying busybox.bb and hacking it the way i need it?

I've tried various combinations, e.g. bb-appending busybox, inheriting from busybox and so on - but to no avail.

Maybe someone have an idea on how to do that?

PS:
* The kernel recipe is derived (bbappend) from core-image-minimal-initramfs.
* Rootfs recipe is derived from core-image-minimal.bb.

--
Erwin Rieger