[yocto] Which OpenSSH packages to use?

Clay D. Montgomery clay at montgomery1.com
Wed Dec 16 15:43:03 PST 2015

On 12/13/2015 12:57 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

>> On Dec 13, 2015, at 10:35 AM, Clay D. Montgomery
>> <clay at montgomery1.com <mailto:clay at montgomery1.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to understand which of these OpenSSH package options I
>> should use with the CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL option:
>>
>>     openssh
>>     openssh-sshd
>>     openssh-sftp
>>     openssh-sftp-server
>>
>> I want OpenSSH server functionality that supports both the scp and
>> sftp protocols. I first tried just 'openssh' and found that it
>> provides scp but not sftp.
>> So then I tried the latter 3 options and I got sftp, but not scp. Do
>> I really need all 4 of these to get scp and sftp?
>>
>> I checked this recipe guide and found it lists yet another package
>> named 'packagegroup-core-ssh-openssh
>> <http://recipes.yoctoproject.org/rrs/recipedetail/122/>' but it says
>> nothing about sftp.
>> http://recipes.yoctoproject.org/rrs/recipes/2.1/M2/
>>
>> I would appreciate some advise.
>
> you can just do
>
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += “ssh-server-openssl” in local.conf
>
> or
>
> IMAGE_FEATURES += "ssh-server-openssl"
>
> via a bbappend in your layer if you hinging on to same image recipe
> otherwise if you have your own image recipe
> then add it to that.
>

>> Thanks, Clay Montgomery
>>

>> --

Raj,

   Thanks for the help, but that does not seem to provide the required
sftp server that is supposed to be here:
     /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

I found that I have to add all 3 of these in the
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL list to get both scp and sftp clients and servers:
     openssh
     openssh-sftp
     openssh-sftp-server

Thanks, Clay