[yocto] Understanding build work directories (machine vs tuning)

Michael Habibi mikehabibi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:45:04 PST 2015

I have created a new machine, and that new machine has a tuning specific to
our architecture. For example, machine=mymachine and mymachine's default
tuning is myarch.

I've noticed that for the target, we actually get two different work
directories: one based on my machine, e.g. mymachine-distro-linux, and one
based on my tuning, e.g. myarch-distro-linux. I haven't quite figured out
the difference between what gets compiled into myarch vs mymachine, as I
get some of both in my rootfs.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks all,
Michael