[yocto] Best practice for files copied directly into sysroot?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Dec 7 11:50:23 PST 2015

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 12:48:29 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On 12/04/15 09:03, Bryan Evenson wrote:
> > Although I am having issues with the license; I haven't figured out where
> > to put it and what to set LIC_FILES_CHKSUM to in the recipe so that
> > bitbake can find the license.  If anyone has a good answer for that, let
> > me know.
> You could try:
>     LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>
> then you don't need a checksum line.

This is legitimate of course only when the source is in fact closed (and even
then, there may be redistribution conditions that you might want to track).

There are several more appropriate ways to solve this issue:

1) The proper way is to point to a file in the fetched/unpacked sources. To do
this, LIC_FILES_CHKSUM should specify one or more paths relative to ${S} (i.e.
where the sources are unpacked to) each prefixed by file:// .

2) If there is no file in the sources describing the license, then add one in
SRC_URI, or point to a common one in ${COMMON_LICENSE_DIR} if appropriate.
These are then copied into ${WORKDIR} automatically and can be referred to in
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM from there.

Cheers,
Paul

--