[yocto] Selecting a preferred recipe version for devtools

PIEWALD Georg Georg.PIEWALD at frequentis.com
Wed Aug 12 06:48:15 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have two recipes for building Subversion (which I only need as a devtool on the build-machine):

$ ls oe-core/meta/recipes-devtools/subversion/*.bb
subversion_1.6.15.bb
subversion_1.7.8.bb

Naturally Yocto uses 1.7.8, which is the newer. However, unfortunately I must use 1.6.15 on my build machine. How can I instruct Yocto to use the older version?

I tried to put a variable
PREFERRED_VERSION_subversion = "1.6.15"
in my local.conf, but it turned out that this only affects the builds for the target-machine (cortexa8hf-vfp-neon-3.8-oe-linux-gnueabi), but not the devtools on the build-machine (x86_64-linux).

One apparent solution is to simply remove the subversion_1.7.8.bb file, but I'm wondering if there is a better way, and how I can select a preferred version specifically for devtools.

BR, Georg