[yocto] Add custom tools to yocto build environment

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 00:38:41 PDT 2015

> On Jul 22, 2015, at 12:00 AM, Lukas Weiss <lukas.weiss at janitza.de> wrote:
>
> Hello yocto friends,
>
> I have a problem with yocto you could help me with. The Background:
> Iam working on a yocto-linux for a TI OMAP-L138, which is a ARM9+DSP in one package. The Linux on ARM is running fine, and does everything I want. I have implemented a kernel driver to start the DSP-Core from the Linux on the ARM9-Core, but now I need to generate the Firmware for the DSP with the Yocto buid system. Main problem is, that I need a compiler/toolchain from TI to compile the Code for the DSP in the yocto build environment.
>
> At this point I did not understand how to add tools to the yocto build environment at all. I think there must be a way to add software to my host (build) system for generating code for my target. But I have no idea how to do it. When I write a BB-recipe, the architecture of the resulting files is checked to be from targets type (arm in my case), but host tools are of type x86... (which is totally correct!)
>
> I think I need a recipe, which downloads the compiler/toolchain for the DSP, extracts and installs it to my yocto build environment, so that I can use it in another recipe that compiles my code to a loadable firmware-image (which is placed to my targets rootfs).
>
> Do you have any suggestions for me how to do that?

This is a multi machine build case, and in single bitbake invocation we only support single arch. But this is not a big issue you can issue two cmds

MACHINE=dsp-machine bitbake blah

and then

MACHINE=arm-machine bitbake blah

I think DSP firmware is another rootfs+kernel  or may be bare metal app, you could certainly use OE/Yocto tooling for that however, I think its not trivial if you want to build from source and I think there is no support for this DSP chip as supported architecture in OE, which means it will require changes in OE-Core to support the DSP architecture and then you would either build the toolchain internally or you can also hook in a prebuilt toolchain into OE and only after that you can start to build
packages for firmware. You can look into git history and see how a new architecture is added ( mips64 was one I remember last I did ) you will need something like that.

quick method would be to keep building DSP firmware outside OE/yocto environment ( as you have been ) then just package the final firmware blob into ARM image