[yocto] Disable "Warning: X, set to be excluded, is excluded [...]"

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 10 08:30:34 PDT 2015

On Monday 10 August 2015 13:19:48 yocto yocto wrote:
> I am building my own yocto image based on the intel edison image. For that
> reason i created my own layer so that I do not have to touch the official
> intel sources. Each change is done in my own layer.
>
> Hence, to remove packages that are added within the intel edison
> configuration I use PACKAGE_EXCLUDE in my own "layer.conf".
>
> E.g.:
> PACKAGE_EXCLUDE = "pwr-button-handler"
>
> Result:
>
> "Warning: Package pwr-button-handler, set to be excluded, is in myown-image
> PACKAGE_INSTALL (*here follows a list with all recipes included*)."
>
> So this warning is 100% correct: I am removing a package which has been
> added before. But is it possible to avoid this warning? I only found this:
>
> "PACKAGE_EXCLUDE is a mechanism for preventing packages from being
> installed at all.  If the package is in the PACKAGE_INSTALL or
>  ACKAGE_INSTALL_ATTEMPTONLY it will be filtered out, and a warning issued."
> (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded.core/41490)

This isn't how PACKAGE_EXCLUDE was really intended to be used. It's telling
you that you've effectively explicitly said "install this thing" then you've
said "don't install this thing". PACKAGE_EXCLUDE was meant to remove (or at
least error) a package implicitly installed through dependencies.

I have to be honest and say I think that image recipes are a special case and
should be more or less disposable - if you need to modify them, rather than
using a bbappend, just copy and modify as needed.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton