[yocto] autotools --prefix ignored?

Adam Rossi ac.rossi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 07:28:51 PDT 2015

Hi folks. I have tried a number of different ways to control the
installation location of an auto tools-based project. From the command
line I would run:

./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/opt/myfolder
make
make install

In my recipe I tried a number of ways to keep the binary out of
/usr/bin, but none seem to work. Relevant parts of the recipe:

inherit autotools
EXTRA_OECONF = "--prefix=${D}/opt/myfolder"

The above is ignored, auto tools puts the results in /usr/bin

I also tried to override the do configure:

do_configure() {
        oe_runconf --prefix=${D}/opt/myfolder
}

But I get complaints that the configure script is not found. I realize
I am trying to swim upstream by controlling this location, but the
heart wants what the heart wants. Any ideas?