[yocto] How to flash core-image-sato to a Nvidia Jetson TK1?

Dalton Fury daltonfury42 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 11:15:35 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am a hobbyist, and liked yocto very much since I used in on an old
Pandaboard ES. Now I got my hands on a Nvidia Jetson TK1, and want to get a
yocto running on it. I intend to use it for heavy image processing and I
prefer not to do it with the Ubuntu which comes with it loaded with GUI and
Unity and all. So I build the image, but could not find any information on
how to flash it to the eMMC on the board.

Nvidia provides scripts for doing this. The process is as follows:

1) Download the driver package and extract it.

2) Download the sample rootfs and extract it to `rootfs` folder in where
the driver package is extracted.

3) Run the apply_binaries.sh script. Upon inspecting the script, I found
that it copies NVIDIA user space components, Nvidia firmware files, BSP
test tools, gst test applications, create a lot of symbolic links within
the rootfs extracted to the 'rootfs' folder. It also places the firmwares
and kernel modules, and also copies some configuration files for the boot
loader(U-Boot).

4) Run flash.sh.

What I did is to copy the rootfs that was made with yocto, and entirely
skip Step 3 assuming that all the necessary software is already made with
yocto as a result of adding the BSP. This attempt of course, failed.
Thought the kernel booted, it froze halfway. No error message. Just a flack
screen with a while "_" on the top left corner.

This is the bsp I used: https://github.com/kraj/meta-jetson-tk1

This is the guide I used as reference:
http://elinux.org/Tegra/Downstream_SW/Gentoo_From_eMMC

If anyone has experience performing this(i bet you do), please help me out.
Thanks.