[yocto] Deploying linux-ti-staging initramfs kernel into /boot

Craig McQueen craig.mcqueen at innerrange.com
Wed Apr 29 21:54:44 PDT 2015

I'm using linux-ti-staging kernel 3.14.x with Yocto dizzy, for a build for BeagleBone Black based system.

I'd like to use initramfs in my kernel. So I've set INITRAMFS_IMAGE in my linux-ti-staging_3.14.bbappend, and INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1" in local.conf. Now in build dir tmp/deploy/images/<boardname> I'm getting zImage-initramfs-<boardname>.bin being built fine.

However, I'm not getting an initramfs image being deployed to /boot, but just a plain zImage without an initramfs.

Looking in the build directory tmp/work/<boardname>-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-ti-staging/3.14.39-r22b+gitrAUTOINC+ba552b4bc7/packages-split/kernel-image/boot I see there is:

zImage-3.14.39
zImage-initramfs-<boardname>.bin

But, if I change my linux-ti-staging_3.14.bbappend to include any one of the following lines, then the kernel-image .rpm file _does_ include both zImage files:

RDEPENDS_kernel-base = ""
RDEPENDS_kernel-base = "kernel-devicetree"
RDEPENDS_kernel-base = "kernel-image"

But if I put:

RDEPENDS_kernel-base = "kernel-image kernel-devicetree"

--then there is no zImage-initramfs-<boardname>.bin in the kernel-image .rpm. This seems very confusing.

Why would zImage-initramfs-<boardname>.bin disappear from the kernel-image package when the linux-ti-staging RDEPENDS_kernel-base specifies both kernel-image and kernel-devicetree, but not other cases?

--
Craig McQueen