[yocto] creating images which include actively developed applications

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 02:05:49 PDT 2015

> On Apr 23, 2015, at 1:45 AM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday 22 April 2015 23:49:41 Khem Raj wrote:
>>> On Apr 22, 2015, at 4:22 PM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com>
>>> wrote:>
>>>
>>> So I do want to mention one thing - we envisaged externalsrc more for
>>> situations where you temporarily want to build from an external source
>>> tree (for example, when you're in the middle of development). The
>>> expectation is that when you reach production you switch over to a
>>> standard repository
>>> specified in SRC_URI. Having said that there aren't any actual barriers to
>>> using it on a more permanent basis as it sounds like you may  be
>>> considering (although perhaps I've misunderstood.)
>>
>> Application development doesn’t end is what really happens, so developers
>> will need to keep using something like this forever on a given application,
>> and somehow externalsrc sounds temporary i.e. not included into regular
>> workflow.
>
> But does the source tree persist on one developer's machine? Or should it in
> fact be on a proper server in a repository of its own?

its on a SCM as well. Developer checks it out himself or via a tool for workspace management
now you have two ways to build it. One w/o externalsrc which is common for system integrators
but not much liked by developers. The other one is externalsrc which is well known method
for developers.

>>> You can leave it completely blank if you wish. In dizzy and earlier,
>>> SRC_URI is effectively ignored with externalsrc. In master and the
>>> just-released fido release, any local file:// references will still be
>>> fetched if present, remote URIs will be ignored.
>>
>> Will they be just fetched or also applied to source tree like in
>> non-externalsrc case. getting a  'prepared source tree' in an externalsrc
>> env is a big confusion point for developers where a given component is
>> building totally fine and if one want to use externalsrc then developer
>> needs to do ‘preparation of source tree’, so it seems post 1.7 we have
>> something inbetween solution ?
>
> They will be unpacked into the workdir as they would have been without
> externalsrc. They do not go into the source tree.

hmm, it will then get my patches and put them in workdir, so then I should manually apply these patches
I see that if i have any config files etc. ( non-patch files) in SRC_URI ponting into local meta-data then they
will be available at WORKDIR location much like the case w/o externalsrc so thats probably slight improvemnt