[yocto] creating images which include actively developed applications

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:49:41 PDT 2015

Paul

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 4:22 PM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday 22 April 2015 20:51:08 Brian Karcz wrote:
>> Thanks for pointing me to that. It sounds like exactly what I need. I can't
>> believe that I've not come across that in my searches. I suppose its a
>> matter of using the right search criteria.
>
> So I do want to mention one thing - we envisaged externalsrc more for
> situations where you temporarily want to build from an external source tree
> (for example, when you're in the middle of development). The expectation is
> that when you reach production you switch over to a standard repository
> specified in SRC_URI. Having said that there aren't any actual barriers to
> using it on a more permanent basis as it sounds like you may  be considering
> (although perhaps I've misunderstood.)

Application development doesn’t end is what really happens, so developers will need to keep
using something like this forever on a given application, and somehow externalsrc sounds
temporary i.e. not included into regular workflow.

>> 2) can the SRC_URI now be omitted in the recipe since there is nothing to
>> fetch?
>
> You can leave it completely blank if you wish. In dizzy and earlier, SRC_URI
> is effectively ignored with externalsrc. In master and the just-released fido
> release, any local file:// references will still be fetched if present, remote
> URIs will be ignored.

Will they be just fetched or also applied to source tree like in non-externalsrc case.
getting a  'prepared source tree' in an externalsrc env is a big confusion point for developers
where a given component is building totally fine and if one want to use externalsrc then developer
needs to do ‘preparation of source tree’, so it seems post 1.7 we have something inbetween solution ?