[yocto] creating images which include actively developed applications

Brian Karcz briank at RUSSOUND.COM
Wed Apr 22 08:32:06 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm attempting to create a recipe for some custom applications that we want to include in our target image. The applications are actively developed and it's often desired to generate images without versioning the application code. It's also desired to be able to work in a source tree that is external to the build tree. I'm trying to determine if Yocto has a mechanism similar to the "source directory override" in Buildroot that allows you to point a package/recipe at an external directory to locate the source code.

We have been using Poky for a couple years, but so far, have had to build the applications externally and use some magic in the image recipes to bring in the pre-built executables explicitly. We accomplished this by using some relative pathing in the SRC_URI and then placing the files in the rootfs by adding some commands to the image preprocess command.

Is there a way to create a recipe to build actively developed code located in an external source directory? Basically skip the fetch and unpack steps and always execute the compile and populate steps each time and image is built?
Thanks,
Brian