[yocto] pulseaudio without x11

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 12:09:46 PDT 2015

On Friday, April 10, 2015, Tanu Kaskinen <tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 11:28 -0400, Chris Morgan wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Using close to latest poky.
> >
> > I'm building a custom image, inheriting from 'core-image' and adding
> > in pulseaudio-server and DISTRO_FEATURES_append with pulseaudio but
> > removing x11.
> >
> > I'm seeing that the pulseaudio.service file isn't present, and even
> > when I copy it over, pulseaudio can't startup because it isn't able to
> > find the DISPLAY environment variable and it isn't running under a
> > user session, which I guess it how it normally runs?
> >
> > Is anyone else using pulseaudio on a build without x11 that might be
> > able to provide some hints on how to do so?
>
> Are you trying to run PulseAudio as a user service or as a system
> service?
>
> When running as a user service, you shouldn't try to use systemd to
> manage pulseaudio, because PulseAudio can't find the session bus when
> started by systemd, and that can cause libdbus to complain about unset
> DISPLAY. PulseAudio itself doesn't care about DISPLAY unless you
> specifically try to load the x11 specific modules.
>
> You didn't give much details, but I'm guessing that you're trying to use
> PulseAudio as a system service, but you don't pass the --system command
> line parameter, so PulseAudio thinks that it's supposed to be a user
> service.
>
> --
> Tanu

Hello.

I am trying to run as a system service, it's for an embedded system and
without x the normal dbus session per user doesn't make sense.

I had modified the service file to pass --system and pulse seemed happier.
Is this the recommended approach? Pulse does complain about passing that
option and running as root.

After a few minutes the service did shut down. It may have been due to
configuring the loop back module though I'm surprised a misconfiguration
would have resulted in pulse shutting down.

Chris